Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Keratin Vs. Brazilian Blowout

I was blessed at birth with thick, wavy, frizzy, unmanageable hair.  Thank goodness for the invention of the Chi!  A couple of years ago I decided to try a more permanent solution to straightening my hair than using a flat iron.  I was a little unsure about the Brazilian Blowout since it contains formaldehyde (however, they have since come out with Brazilian Blowout Zero, which contains no formaldehyde but is not as effective).  I searched online for a review from a real person who had tried both the Brazilian Blowout and the Keratin Treatment but didn't find much.  I'm hoping this review will help people like me who are wanting to try something new for their hair.

From our engagement photo session back in 2009.  My hair was straightened with a CHI straightener in this picture.

I purchased a Groupon deal for a Keratin treatment at an upscale salon.  It cost $125 and lasted about 6 weeks.  I did not find the Keratin treatment to be very effective.  It made my hair extra shiny, and a little "healthier" looking, but my hair was still frizzy.  I had to still blow dry my hair straight and follow up with the CHI, although it did not take as long to style my hair as before the keratin treatment.  I also noticed that my hair took less time to dry, which was one of the few perks of this treatment.


My hair a few weeks after getting the Keratin treatment

About a year later, I found a Groupon for a hair cut AND brazilian blowout for $150.  Normally, these cost around $300-$400, so I jumped on the opportunity to try it out.  I researched the product a little before hand and found that most people who had the Brazilian Blowout didn't have any side effects from the formaldehyde, but they did recommend using a face mask to block out the fumes.  So even though my hairstylist thought I was crazy for wearing the mask, I wore it proudly.  

It didn't help.  My eyes stung with tears throughout the blow drying process, and my throat was raw and sore for a week afterwards.  I promised myself after leaving the salon that I wouldn't get this treatment again, as I feared for my health.  

But when five months later, I still had perfectly straight and frizz free hair, I was convinced that whatever the effects, its worth it!  I only had to quickly blow dry my hair, without using a brush or trying to straighten my hair in any way, and I would end up with hair like this:

Immediately after getting the Brazilian Blowout for the first time

4 months after the Brazilian Blowout

 What I liked the most about the blowout is how long it lasted.  The first time I had it done, it lasted 5 months - and it might have lasted longer but I went swimming in a pool (which you are supposed to avoid) and afterwards it wore off.

If you want to avoid the harsh chemicals and are looking for healthier, more manageable hair, I would recommend the Keratin Treatment.  If you are really serious about having frizz free, straight hair, definitely go for the Brazilian Blowout.  I am so happy I decided to continue getting this treatment.  When I first returned to work after getting the blowout, one coworker actually told me "this was the best thing you could have done for yourself!"  It gave me a ton of confidence and makes getting ready so much easier. Just make sure your salon is well ventilated!

Have any of you ever had anything like this done to your hair?  What did you think?
 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips